- Share your cancer story
- Corporate partnerships
- Why work with us?
- How you can work with us
- Inspirational partner stories
- Get in touch
- Gift in your Will
- Sign the World Cancer Declaration
Grocery retailers (Coles) and fuel and convenience (Coles Express).
Coles Supermarkets is one of Australia's largest grocery retailers, with 771 supermarkets and serving over 20 million customers each week. It is proudly Australian, with a heritage dating back to 1914 when George J. Coles opened the first Coles variety store in Collingwood, Victoria.
Coles' goal is 'To give the people of Australia a shop they trust, delivering quality, service and value'.
Coles Express is one of Australia’s leading fuel and convenience retailers providing customers with quality Shell fuels and a diverse range of food and grocery items. Coles Express has more than 660 stores nationwide.
Coles and Coles Express are owned by Wesfarmers Ltd.
Integrated partnership in support of Daffodil Day:
- merchandise sales (box supporter)
- cause related marketing
- customer engagement and donations
- staff engagement and donations.
Coles has partnered with Cancer Council in support of Daffodil Day since 1996. Coles Express joined the partnership in 2011.
Coles and Coles Express seek to:
- support the community in a highly relevant way and demonstrate social responsibility, to foster customer loyalty
- enable team members across the country to make a difference to a cause that they strongly support, enhancing recruitment and retention
- create an enhanced shopping experience through in-store promotions and engage customers in supporting a high profile cause by offering multiple opportunities (eg donations, buying merchandise)
- develop and promote exclusive Coles Daffodil Day products to maximise funds raised and increase brand alignment.
What we have achieved together so far
- Coles, Coles Express and its customers have together raised over $19 million for Cancer Council's Daffodil Day, to help fight cancer. In 2014 alone Coles and Coles Express raised over $2.8m.
- Funds raised by Coles and Coles Express for Daffodil Day help fund local cancer support services like wig libraries, transport to treatment or accommodation lodges in all Australian states and territories.
- The partnership provides opportunities for Coles and Coles Express staff to participate in fundraising and the spirit of Daffodil Day, supporting a cause that is important to them, particularly those who have been directly affected by cancer. Coles team members decorate their stores and dress in yellow, to boost awareness of Daffodil Day and encourage customer support. The entrenched commitment to Daffodil Day fosters team morale and makes Coles and Coles Express employers of choice.
- Coles and Coles Express benefit from recognition of their national support in Daffodil Day media and publicity and on Cancer Council's popular social media platforms, increasing brand affiliation.
How Coles and Coles Express support Cancer Council
Coles, Coles Express and their customers raised over $2.8m in 2014 for Daffodil Day by:
- selling Cancer Council's Daffodil Day merchandise at checkouts nationally
- selling Coles' fresh daffodils
- selling Coles' limited edition Daffodil Day themed reusable shopping bags
- taking customer donations at the checkout and through 'surprise and delight' forecourt service at Coles Express
- hosting staff fundraising activities, including morning teas, dress in yellow, auctions and raffles
- donating 2c per litre of Shell fuel sold at Coles Express on Daffodil Day – raising over $313,000 in 2014
- promotional support – in stores (eg point of sale materials and in store radio), catalogues, Coles magazine, website, and PR activity, all generating significant awareness of Cancer Council's Daffodil Day and the partnership with Coles and Coles Express.
Why Coles and Coles Express support Cancer Council
"Getting behind a cause like cancer, which sadly impacts adults and children in every community across Australia, makes sense for a business with such a big reach like Coles."
"Our stores have been proud to be part of Daffodil Day for over 19 years. We have raised over $19 million for Cancer Council to ensure those that need assistance with managing and coming to terms with cancer can get the help and advice they need through local Cancer Council support services across Australia. It's important to us that the funds we raise and donate go to such a tangible and worthwhile cause."
John Durkan, Managing Director, Coles
Want to join the fight against cancer? Contact us through our online inquiry form or call (02) 8063 4100.
This page was last updated on: Friday, June 19, 2015