Cervical cancer screening
Oncogenic HPV types not detected
GUIDELINE UPDATES - This guideline was last updated 7/1/2022
Women in whom oncogenic HPV types are not detected are at very low risk of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia grade 3 (CIN3) and cervical cancer for at least 5 years (see Chapter 2. The rationale for primary HPV screening). MSAC recommended that these women can continue 5-yearly screening (see Medical Services Advisory Committee recommendations for HPV testing).
Flowchart 6.2 Cervical screening pathway for primary oncogenic HPV testing (HPV not detected)
|MSAC evidence-based recommendation|
|REC6.3: Oncogenic HPV types not detected at routine screening|
Women who have a screening HPV test in which oncogenic HPV types are not detected should rescreen in 5 years.
- Professor Karen Canfell — Co-author
- Professor Ian Hammond — Co-author
- Professor Marion Saville — Co-author
- Cancer Council Australia Cervical Cancer Screening Guidelines Working Party — Co-author
- Katki HA, Kinney WK, Fetterman B, Lorey T, Poitras NE, Cheung L, et al. Cervical cancer risk for women undergoing concurrent testing for human papillomavirus and cervical cytology: a population-based study in routine clinical practice. Lancet Oncol 2011 Jul;12(7):663-72 Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21684207.
- Dillner J, Rebolj M, Birembaut P, Petry KU, Szarewski A, Munk C, et al. Long term predictive values of cytology and human papillomavirus testing in cervical cancer screening: joint European cohort study. BMJ 2008 Oct 13;337:a1754 Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18852164.
- Medical Services Advisory Committee. MSAC Outcomes. Application No. 1276 – Renewal of the National Cervical Screening Program. [homepage on the internet] Canberra: Australian Government Department of Health; 2014 [updated 2015 Apr]. Available from: http://www.msac.gov.au/internet/msac/publishing.nsf/Content/FD36D6990FFAA639CA25799200058940/$File/1276%20-%20Final%20MSAC%20PSD%20-%20NCSP%20Renewal.pdf.
WEBSITE UPDATES - This website was last updated 7/1/2022