Discussion: Management of discordant colposcopic impression, histopathology and referral LBC prediction
Management of discordant colposcopic impression, histopathology and referral LBC prediction
GUIDELINE UPDATES - This guideline was last updated 7/1/2022
There is currently insufficient high-level evidence to guide the management of discrepancies between cytological findings and colposcopic impression in women who have positive oncogenic HPV test results, or who have pLSIL/LSIL and Type 3 TZ colposcopy. These consensus-based recommendations and practice points are considered conservative and offer a safe approach, but this may require review as future research results become available.
Future research priorities
To determine optimal management, evidence is needed from:
- prospective audits of management strategies of large cohorts of women who have positive oncogenic HPV test results with discordant cytology and colposcopic findings
- randomised controlled trials or longitudinal studies comparing management strategies for women with a positive oncogenic HPV test result, who have normal cytology or pLSIL/LSIL, and Type 3 TZ colposcopy.
- Dr Andrea Garrett — Co-author
- Professor Ian Hammond — Co-author
- Professor Marion Saville — Co-author
- Mr. C. David H. Wrede — Co-author
- Cancer Council Australia Cervical Cancer Screening Guidelines Working Party — Co-author
WEBSITE UPDATES - This website was last updated 7/1/2022