Children, adolescents and young adults
Cancer Support for young people
Cancer Council Tasmania offers support for children, adolescents and young adults impacted by cancer.
There is a range of support and information available for families when a young person is diagnosed with cancer during and after treatment.
The Under 25s program can assist with:
- Financial support
- Links to relevant community services
- Information and resources for young people and their families
- Emotional support
For further information, please contact us on 1300 65 65 85.
Where a child aged 18 years or under is diagnosed with cancer, the family can access our Rachel & Jye fund (see below).
For those over 18 years of age, please refer to Cancer Council’s Financial Assistance Program.
Applications for financial assistance must be completed by a social worker or member of a health care team.
Rachel & Jye Fund
The Rachel and Jye Fund was established with the aim of providing financial assistance to Tasmanian families where a young person up to the age of 18 years is diagnosed with cancer.
The Rachel & Jye Fund offers:
- An initial payment to Tasmanian families when a child or adolescent is diagnosed with cancer and/or experiences a relapse.
- Travel assistance funding where interstate travel is required for treatment
For further information on the Rachel & Jye Fund contact the Cancer Support Team on 1300 65 65 85.
Seize the Day Educational Scholarships
Applications open each year on 1st November and close on 1st March
Our Seize the Day Educational Scholarships help with post-secondary education costs for young Tasmanians impacted by cancer.
If you are a Tasmanian aged 16-25 undertaking post-secondary education and have been affected by your own cancer diagnosis or the diagnosis or death of an immediate family member (parent/guardian, sibling, spouse/partner, child), you are eligible to apply.
Scholarships range from $500-$2000 and can be used towards study-related costs such as course fees, textbooks, stationery, course equipment, transport and accommodation.
Eligibility Criteria for Applicants
- aged between 16 - 25 years
- impacted by cancer diagnosis of self or immediate family member OR bereaved by cancer
- engaged in post-secondary education or training course in 2022 including university, TasTAFE, VET or an apprenticeship
- permanent resident of Tasmania
For further information, please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1300 65 65 85.
A big thank you to all our sponsors.