Dietary fibre per serve: 69
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 x 400g tins crushed tomatoes
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups reduced-salt beef stock
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup wholemeal pasta (penne, spirals, elbows, shells)
- 1 cup sliced cabbage
- 400g tin four bean mix, rinsed and drained
- Cook onion and garlic in a large pot with 2 tbsp water until onion is translucent.
- Add tomato, carrot, celery, zucchini, potato, tomato paste, bay leaf, beef stock and water.
- Bring to the boil, add the pasta and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Add cabbage and beans.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes or until cabbage is soft.
- Serve by itself or with a small wholemeal bread roll.
- Make it gluten-free by substituting ½ cup whole meal pasta for ½ cup gluten-free pasta
- Use vegetable stock to make it vegetarian
- Don’t have cabbage? Try Brussel sprouts, kale or spinach instead.
Recipe supplied courtesy of Cancer Council Queensland